Saturday 18 April 2015

Meet Nina Jones


At just 17 years old, Nina Jones is an extremely talented teenage vocalist with a big future ahead of her. Based in Newport, South Wales, her new single is the kind of accessible hit that can go a long way to establishing a new name in the music industry.

Never Let You Go has potential pop hit written all over it, and also follows the recent trend of chart hits peppered with retro 90s touches. It’s a song about asking somebody to trust you in love, to let go emotionally and to fall completely for you. Andy Howells recently put questions to Nina

How did you get into singing?
I started singing seriously around 12/13 years old. I had singing lessons from Charlotte Church's singing teacher Louise Ryan. She was very strict but taught me a lot. When I was about 10 yrs old however I did perform in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang at The Wales Millennium Centre with Aled Jones and H from Steps! As well as Pop music I love Musical Theatre and sang a lot of Musical Theatre stuff as a younger girl. I was in the final of 'The UK Open Mic' contest a few years back and was Runner Up in The Star Of Stage contest 2 yrs ago. I got to meet Connie Fisher through that who was great.

Your based in Newport, tell us more about that!
I live in Bassaleg, it's a nice place to live. I go to the 6th form in Rougemont School where I'm doing my 'A' levels. I love Newport, it's a great city, it's my home.

How would you describe your music style?
I originally started singing more Musical Theatre stuff when I was a bit younger but I love all kinds of music. My current style for the single and my album All Of Me is a mixture of a little Musical Theatre but mostly Pop, Soul, a tad of R&B and maybe a tiny dash of funk!

Never Let You Go is your new single can you tell us more about that?
Never Let You Go I think is catchy, infectious and toe tappingly paced – soulful pop-funk. It follows the recent trend of chart hits peppered with retro 80's/90s touches. It’s a song about asking somebody to trust you in love, to let go emotionally and to fall completely for you.

You’ve collaborated with songwriters Darren Parry, Dan Curtis and Laura Curtis, how did that come about?
Yes, Never Let You Go is written by award winning songwriters Darren Parry, Dan Curtis and Laura Curtis. Darren has achieved UK Songwriting Contest Award wins (2004 winner ‘Pop’), USA Song Of The Year, USA ‘Billboard’ and USA Unisong awards. Meanwhile, Dan and Laura Curtis have had songs recorded by Paul Potts, Broadway stars Ramin Karimloo & Lea Salonga and also wrote the successful, star studded charity track A Miner’s Song.

What happened was I was singing a few songs at an album launch party in Cafe Jazz, Cardiff last year. Darren Parry was singing there too that night with the talented Rob Devereux on guitar. Darren approached me after the gig and said that his covers band (Sounds Familiar) were looking for a new female singer. He said that he and Rob were very impressed with my voice so asked me if I'd be interested to join their band. A few months later, after my exams, I auditioned...and got in!

Darren later told me he had 'the perfect' original song for me; he played it for me on the keyboard at my house and I loved it; so I decided to record it! Darren produced the track for me and did a great job. We recorded the song at Shabbey Road Studios (with the great Al Steele as engineer) and Rob Devereux on guitar. I hope the public like it as much as I do!

Have you got any live appearances lined up?
Yeah, lots coming up all solo dates/appearances etc. will be posted on: facebook.com/ninajonesmusic

Who are your musical influences?
I'm very much inspired by the music of Adele and Sam Smith. On my debut album I've done a cover of One and Only by Adele. I also love John Legend; there is a cover of All Of Me on there too (you can check out my Soundcloud for these tracks but Carrie Underwood is a favourite of mine also.

What are you listening to at the moment?
Oooh Sam Smith and Adele mostly but always learning new songs for the band, e.g. we just learnt Happy by Pharrell, he's cool too!

Where can people hear your music?
The video for the song Never Let You Go has just been finished too and can be seen on my Facebook page and on Youtube. A talented guy called Rob Reed filmed the video and the great Al Steele and Ceri Darknell of Shabbey Road Studio directed/edited it. I love it! I think the video is funky and fresh...see what you think!

  • A version of this Q&A with Nina Jones was published in The South Wales Argus entertainment section The Guide on April 17, 2015. Check out the e-edition here.

No comments:

Post a Comment