Wednesday 18 February 2015

In Concert: 10cc, St David's Hall, Cardiff, 2015


On completion of a meal at a restaurant on Tuesday evening, I was asked by the waiter what I was going to be doing for the rest of the evening. “I’m off to St David’s Hall to see 10cc” I responded. I was met with a rather blank look, “is that a bike?” he replied.

Thankfully when I got to St David’s Hall there were many other people in attendance that actually knew who 10cc were. Fronted by founder member Graham Gouldman the current touring band consisted of three further key members who have had associations with 10cc since the 1970s, guitarist Rick Fenn, drummer Paul Burgess and percussionist Mike Stevens. The line up was completed with the inclusion of guitarist Mick Wilson.

The first half of the show was made up of a complete run through of 10cc’s 1975 album Sheet Music featuring live recreations of tracks Wall Street Shuffle, The Worst Band in the World and Silly Love. One of the many highlights of the first half was an all singing and dancing video contribution from another 10cc founder member Kevin Godley leading the band for a rendition of Somewhere in Hollywood.

The second half of the show consisted of back to back 10cc hits. The Things We Do For Love, I’m Mandy Fly Me, and The Dean and I were all featured, but the atmosphere rose to a peak as the audience showed their appreciation for Number One hits I’m Not In Love and Dreadlock Holiday with the adjusted lyric “I don’t like Cardiff, I love it!”

The real highlight came with the encore, an a Capella version of 10cc’s debut hit Donna and an out of your seats and dance version of Rubber Bullets all resulting in an entertaining evening from one of the best bands from the 1970s. Here's to the next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment